More from the archive, both S-VHS and Digital: Merchant Navy class 4-6-2, 35028 Clan Line at work on the main line between 1990 and 2001, plus an afternoon spent at Southall depot with members of the MNLPS.
(approx. running time: 63 minutes)
Built by the British Railways Southern Region in 1948 to the design of O.V.S. Bulleid, and rebuilt in 1959, Clan Line was the antepenultimate member of the Merchant Navy class. In his book “Bulleid Power: The Merchant Navy Class”, A.J. Fry (no relation, AFAIK), states “Fitted with a speedometer in July 1961, on the down Atlantic Coast Express on September 23rd of that year it attained 104 mph near Axminster”.
She was purchased by the Merchant Navy Locomotive Preservation Society when withdrawn from Nine Elms in July 1967, the only member of the class not to be sold for scrap, and returned to the main line in April 1974. This programme shows her at work on the main line between 1990 and 2001. I’m very grateful to Adrian & Jackie Pallant for permission to include some of their footage taken in 2000 and 2001.
Pre 1990: Stills showing Clan Line at Marylebone, Stratford Upon Avon, Salisbury, on the West Of England main line, and at Waterloo.
- 28th April: Marylebone – Derby and return
- 7th July & 6th Oct: The White Rose: Didcot – Sheffield
- 26th Aug: MNLPS Open Day at Southall depot
- 6th Sept: Test run, Eastleigh – Yeovil Junction
- 15th Oct: 1st public tour after overhaul – London – Yeovil – Weymouth
- 4th Dec: Paddington – Newbury – Bristol – Didcot – Paddington
- 4th Feb: London – Portsmouth – Salisbury – London
- 9th March: Derby – Didcot
- 24th March: Woking – Salisbury – Clapham; Waterloo – Woking
- 25th March: Woking – Portsmouth
- 17th May: west of Westbury, Manchester Pullmans
- 11th June: The Strong Countryman
- 3rd March: VSOE to Portsmouth
- 12th Oct: Bert Hooker Memorial: GWR – Yeovil J – Weymouth and back
- 25th Jan: “The Treacle Eater” B&H – Yeovil J -Salisbury
- 17th May: “The Waterloo Sunset” with 34027: Waterloo – Andover – Southampton – Poole – Winchester – Waterloo
- 11th March: VSOE to Bath
- 26th March: Waterloo – Salisbury – Bristol – Badminton – Waterloo
- 21st Nov: The Solent & Sarum
- 23rd Jan: London to Stratford
- 10th March: VSOE to Bath
- 27th March: The William Shakespeare: London to Stratford
- 24th April: London – Salisbury – Westbury – Reading – Waterloo
- 2nd Oct: “The Treacle Eater” Waterloo – Salisbury – Yeovil
- 15th March & 1st Nov: VSOE to Bath
- 25th March: The Mendip Merchant: London – Salisbury – Westbury – East Somerset Railway – Newbury – London.
- 7th April: VSOE Surrey Hills dining train
- 21st Oct: The Mayflower: Bristol – Exeter – Plymouth & return
- 4th March: VSOE to Portsmouth
- 24th March: London – Salisbury – Exeter – Weston Super Mare – London